Monday, May 23, 2011

Another Visit Home....Kannon's 9th Birthday







































































































































Let's see if I can catch up. Will and I joined some folks from here in the TriCities area for our first "SIFF"...Seattle International Film Festival. We left on May 19th and stayed until 22nd. Due to

very heavy traffic in Seattle AND Will's having to work later than expected; we missed the opening night gala which included the film: "The First Grader"a UK/Kenya film of 2010. We heard it was good but alas we found our lodging and had a wonderful dinner on the Union Lake at a restaurant called McCormick & Schmicks "Harborside on Lake Union." What a treat!


The next day we saw 5 films: "Happy, Happy" Norway 2010 (very good); "Ex" Hong Kong, 2010 (interesting and about a 3 out of 5); "Copacabana" France, 2020 a wonderful treat from Isabelle Huppert..a 5 by me! "The Pillow Book" France/UK/Netherlands 1996..most interesting part of this film was Ewan McGregor's penis....who knew! I'd give it (the film) a 2-3 rating; and lastly "Hermano" Venezuela 2010. Excellent, a 5. I won't keep listing films but just wanted you to know the international flavor of the event. Two other very interesting films were "Black Narcissus" UK 1947 Deborah Kerr (I had paperdolls of her as a child!) and "Black Venus" the story of Saartjie Baartman, a Khoikoi tribeswoman of southern Africa, France 2010. The last film only wets your appetite for more information on this amazing woman's life. There was an excellent discussion after the film with several anthropologists about this fascinating woman.



We had a grand time...we walked from one film neighborhood to another and thus got better aquainted with Seattle. There was also an awards ceremony for the 10 minute cell phone videos in 3 categories: children/youth/adult. Cute and amazing films as the "directors" were called on stage and given attention to their small films. We so enjoyed this event and the local film folks who met with us for discussions and food. We will return next year for a grand activity.



I left on May 24th for the very long drive, 13 1/2 hours, to Woodland & later to Pleasanton. The best role I've ever had is grandmother...or O'Bachan in Japanese. My 16 month old granddaughter has just learned "No!" and girl is she good at it! I got to spend a few days in her company which is delightful. I also got to attend the Davis Jazzercise group which kept me on my feet...after such a long drive. On Saturday, I drove to Pleasanton, where Kannon and his parents were exhausted after his birthday slumber party the night before. On Sunday all the extended family members...lots of grandparents...as well as Marly..celebrated the honor of having such a wonderful boy (Kannon) in our "village!" He is amazing, talented, smart....you know I could go on and on but of course, what grandmother doesn't! On Monday, I got to take them to see the new Kung Fue Panda movie. Kiara is especially social and a joy to hang out with.



So back to Richland...this time I drove 7 1/2 hours, rested in Bend, Oregon and drove the remained of the way home the next day. Will tells me he and Suki had a blast going fishing. Chris joined him several days and Will caught lots of "really big" trout...both lake trout and wild trout! But...where are the pictures?!


The pictures above are all from our back yard. I am enjoying the color and the fragrances but the weather remains....cool and rainy in this high desert area! We did drive over to Pendleton one weekend just to see the town. Let us hear from you and what you are doing and when are you coming to visit? (I left my camera at Tom David's so no pics of birthday celebration)


















No comments:

Post a Comment