Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October...WSU classes & Windy Fall

Hi All! As you can see, I could not figure out how to narrate the last post...so you just have pictures. September was a busy month for us. We had lots of visitors and travel. It was a blast. Just sorry it's over. I started my world religions class and the Physio-Psy. class (brain anatomy)
which gave me a structure but my mistake was taking a class every day! After Mary's visit in August...Tom & Martie flew in on September 7th and stayed till September 19th. It was great to have them here...especially after all the times we've slept over at their Woodland home. We went to the Columbia Gorge the first weekend and met our South Carolina neighbors, Joel & Carolyn. What a surprise to find they wanted to met at our favorite resort for lunch...The Edgefield Inn.
We stopped on our journey in Hood River which is such "a fine place to see" and had brunch. John Prine was playing that night at the Edgefield plus there were several weddings going on so the place was hopping! We managed to have a wonderful lunch, catch some pictures and travel in a caravan up to the Vista House and then on to Multnomah Falls. Carolyn & Joel traveled all over the country this year including Alaska so they were headed down through California and onward to destinations Eastward. It was great to see them and hear all about the old neighborhood! Sure miss them already & again!

Tom, Martie, Will and I spent the night at Cascade Locks and had dinner at a wonderful little place in Hood River. I have such control issues!!! (I know you find that hard to believe!) but I wanted to eat at the Black Rabbit in Troutdale and you can't believe how hard it was for me to be open and willing to do something different. And of course it was fabulous and we had a blast. Then we drove up the coast, stopping at the Mary Hill Winery (meant to take them to the museum which was up the road a piece) and enjoying the views as we headed back to the TriCities and for Will to work on Monday. I enrolled Tom & Martie in a trip to Walla Walla and to my favorite lunch place: Grazen followed by caffee at the French Patisserie. I don't think Tom was impressed! Martie was impressed however with the old-movie-theatre turned into Macy's and we shopped for a while. Then on Thursday, with Will off work, we traveled to Seattle after lunch in Ellensburg. We took Suki and the truck. We thought she would ride well in the back of the truck in her kennel but alas...it got cold and rainy. Fairly soon she ended up inside the back seat of the truck with Martie and I. A wet dog isn't the best company on a long road trip! But we made it to Whidbey without tossing her so I think all went well.

Tom's mobility (he suffered a stroke about 10 years ago) isn't the best...and no matter how much I goaded him to get a scooter, cane or bicycle...he did it his way. Imagine that! The two of us butted heads a few times...just can't get along always with your ex's.. but Will, Martie and Tom got along fabulously. We drove them around the towns on the Island and got to see Gerry at the Farmer's Market and enjoyed some of his great bread and cookies. On our return from Whidbey, we drove through Leavenworth (no, not the prison) but the wonderful little Holland-like town north of Wanachee. I think they got to see a good amount of Washington and Oregon while here. They left on Monday afternoon and I was sad to see them go.

Then on Thursday of that week, I drove to Seattle to the airport to pickup Debby. It was my first trip to the SeaTac airport....picking up someone else that is...I've been picked up there many times! Debby and I drove to Ellensburg...the drive was slow as there is so much road work..planning for the snow season...and we arrived after 1:00am. We managed to stop at a Taco Bell...nothing but the best!...before getting to sleep. Arrived home on Friday and hung around before Will came home and we were off to met Chris & Beth for dinner before going to see "Money Ball." It was fun and Sunday was a day of rest before Debby and I drove back to
Seattle and on to Whidbey. I took her to my favorite coffee house (a secluded place which is deliberately kept hidden from tourists) and treated her to breakfast....lemon french toast...which was way to lemony and too much rosemary! We did spend a night in Seattle near the airport where we drove into Pike's Market area for a wonderful dinner and had a counseling session. I was so relieved and relaxed afterwards. I need my friends around more often!!! Thank you Debby...I love having you in my life. And she left on the 27th...just a day before her birthday.

So...here it is October. Will's daughter-in-law Sandy and her twin sister Suzie, ran the Portland
Marathon on Sunday October 9th. We were able to find them in Portland on Saturday and have dinner (seems like all we ever do is eat!) We met Suzie's son and grandson...Jackson (and his Dad J.R.) as well as seeing Nikky and Austin. She's in her first semester at Humboldt in northern California. They are such courageous, talented young people...philosophy is her favorite class! We totally enjoyed them and ourselves before the twins completed the 1/2 marathon on Sunday. I have pictures but need to get a cable to download them. Whew! What
a month it's been. But having friends and family to spend time with has filled us with such love and comfort. Thank you all!

By the way...when we were in Portland, we encountered some of the "Wall Street" protesters. They were a welcome sight. They were courteous, polite and informative. They moved their sleeping quarters around to allow the marathon runners lots of area for the run. They were peaceful, young and encouraging. The TV newsfolks kept saying how friendly, kind and helpful they were...like it was a surprise! Remember when the old conservative folks use to say.."Why
don't they get a job?" Well....let's get those jobs up and running! I'd like one myself!

Hugs to you all....miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment